Frolicking on the beach at Hanalei Bay.
We had an excellent first full day. Without any real plan, we just headed north on Kauai - and stumbled upon beach after beach and cool place after cool place. Writing this a week later, I still think the beach at Hanalei Bay has been my favorite - a video of the kids frolicking is attached.
On this day, Ford started calling the chickens that randomly inhabit this island (they are everywhere) his "friends" and started chasing them maniacally (spellcheck says that spelling is right, though it doesn't quite look right) at first sight - something he did the entire time we were on Kauai. The first chicken he saw on Maui (there are a few - but only a few) elicited a "My Friend!" proclamation from Ford.
Our drive ended up at Tunnels Beach, getting shave ice from a truck, chasing chic
kens in the park, and watching people at the beach, before turning back to Hanalei for a bite to eat. We selected "Bubba Burgers" for lunch, followed by shave ice from "Shave Ice Paradise", times two (the kids and I went back for seconds when Suzy ducked into a nearby shop - I'll admit I felt a bit sick after 3 shave ices (+kid leftovers) in about 3 hours.
Randomly as I'm typing tonight I'm thinking of a few things I want to do:
Read Michener's Hawaii
Watch South Pacific
Return to Hawaii ASAP
Vacation with the kids as long as they'll play along
As I'm editing a few weeks later I'm thinking that I want to go back to Kauai as soon as possible. The view from our condo sliding door:

No comments:
Post a Comment